Yesterday, once again I had planned and desired to do something a bit different but I didn’t have time. I bought an awesome new journal that says exactly what I want my 2016 to be like.
The plan was to take 15-20 min and write some poetry. I prefer to write when the desire comes but I think it’s also important to learn to be disciplined with the creative process and set some guidelines. So at least, I did step #1 and got the journal. I hope to spend some time with it tomorrow. (Which is really going to be later today because I’m writing this entry about yesterday! Last night was busy!)
So anyhow, I technically did do something for myself last night. I had my first rehearsal for the Shakespeare play I’m going to be in this coming March. Wow! That was liberating! The entire afternoon I had to deal with my “needy” children whining and complaining about my rules, asking me to find everything under the sun for them, in order to do their homework, while all three of them ask me questions at the same time! I was losing my mind, but in the back of my head there was peace. I knew that my time would come tonight, when I would get to leave the house for three full hours and do something completely different that gives me such a huge rush!
Please, take my advice and join a group! I’m sorry— if you can sign your kids up for sports, music lessons, chess, art classes etc., and be the taxi driver for everyone- then you definitely deserve once a week to do something that excites you!!!!
Here are some examples of groups you can join:
- local swim team
- church group
- groups at your library: creative writing, scrap booking, gardening
- take a continuing education course at your local community college (Photography, dance, writing)
- volunteer at a homeless shelter, home for children with special needs, at the hospital, or Feed my Starving Children
- join a running group ( I don’t know how anyone could enjoy this- but to each his own!)
- Sign up to learn a new language
- Take music and/or singing lessons
- Take Karate/self defense
- Take an art class and learn to draw and/or paint
- Join a yoga group
- Learn how to ice skate or swim (then you are set for each season!)
- Make your own group and ask the library if they will support you and allow you to meet there weekly
- join a mom’s group or form your own
Whatever it is that you’ve been thinking about, but never thought you could find the time to do– just ignore those naysayers in your head– and DO IT!!!!
Is there something you admire or have always wanted to learn, since you were little, that keeps creeping back into your thoughts???????????
It’s your sub-conscious telling you something. DO NOT ignore it again!
It’s trying to tell you where your passion lies! Listen to that little child in your head. Those are the dreams and aspirations that your little negative self shot down and tried to shut up. The dreams are still alive and trying to become a reality! It is in your control to make it happen!
JUST DO IT!- IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!
You will thank me later for this,