Yes, working out most definitely counts as doing something for yourself. I haven’t worked out in over a year. I told myself that working out at the local gym for one hr 2-3 times a week is really adding to my stress since I also work part time. I thought once I finally go back to work full time or close to it, I will never be able to wake up at 6am to work out. I decided that getting sleep was better for my health and evening workouts would never work because that’s family time. Also, if you have older children you realize that once they get home from school the rest of the evening is complete chaos. Get homework done, eat, go to soccer etc.
The decision to stop working out was the worst thing I could have ever done. The entire year I had something new wrong with me every week. I was depressed, had no energy and really felt bad about the way that I looked. I decided this year I would workout but not become a slave to it. I would do my best to workout whenever I could with the minimum being three times a week. I decided anything would count for working out and any amount of time would be sufficient.
Here are some examples:
- Taking boxes to basement: add in running back up the stairs and doing a few extra runs just for exercise
- T-25: Beach body DVD that I purchased through a Facebook garage sale for $40- what a steal!! The workouts are only 25 minutes!!! SCORE!!
- Riding bikes with kids
- Yoga in the morning
- Walking kids to school and jogging home (it’s only a block- but hey better then nothing!)
- Cleaning the house: vacuuming, bringing laundry baskets upstairs etc.
- You Tube workout videos: just do 20 min of the video if that’s all you have time for
- Playing tennis
- Roller skating/Ice skating
So today I did T-25, like I have actually been doing 5 times a week for three weeks now! It’s nothing new that I do for myself but today it made me really happy! I’m getting better at getting it done without stopping in the middle and I’m really finding that I have more energy!
— Which I’m definitely going to need … because.. remember that audition? Well, I got the part of Casca in Shakespeare’s: Caesar!!! This is going to be the most challenging thing I’ve ever done in my life but I’m up for it, and I hope I rock the house!!
Parting is such sweet sorrow 😦